Friday 25 February 2011

human rights?

The main thing that struck me about this article was the presumption that you "have a right to have a home".  Do you? I think that would surprise a lot of people living by roadsides all over the world would be surprised by this.  Obviously it is preferable to have a home but I don't think anyone is entitled to one per se.  I have never claimed benefits, when I couldn't afford to rent I moved back in with my Mum.  I was lucky that I was able to do that, but I believe benefits should be for those that need them, not for people who fancy getting their own place.The same applies to some squatters - want and need are two different things.
The empty houses and buildings in the UK are a huge waste of space but that doesn't mean you are entitled or have a right to move in there and do what you like with the place.  A more productive method for these people to change society might be to work within the system - get laws changed and housing bills passed etc.

To act as you like without regard to the laws of the society you live in is not radical or daring, simply childish.

No comments:

Post a Comment